Tentative start date: June 3, 2019
Job length: ~ 10 weeks, full time
The Rec’N’Read Leader must have been enrolled in full-time studies at college/university/trade school for the past year and be returning to full-time studies again this September. They must have related experience working with children, proven leadership skills, and an understanding of the stages of children’s development. They must be teacher career goal oriented as to assist the Rec’N’Read Teacher in the morning portion of the program effectively. First Aid qualifications or the willingness to train is mandatory. The Rec’N’Read Leader must:
- Work with the Assistant Project Manager to plan and implement a 4-week afternoon recreation program for approximately 20 children.
- Plan age-appropriate activities, incorporating ideas from a variety of areas such as crafts, circle time, out-trips, cooking, story time, sports, quiet activities, scavenger hunts, songs, games, adventures etc.
- Work in partnership with other leaders in a co-operative manner, exhibiting maturity, and setting a positive example to volunteers and camp participants.
- Lead, organize and support the Rec’N’Read volunteers.
- Work with and support the Rec’N’Read Teacher during the morning portion of the Rec’N’Read program (this might include running small stations, supervising and leading reading activities, reading with individual students, etc.)
- Undergo training in areas such as of behaviour management, Standard First Aid, conflict resolution, children who have special needs, allergy response, etc.
- Assist in registration and volunteer recruitment, time permitting.
- Attend a “Team Building Event” for all leaders.
- Help assemble supplies and maintain appropriate inventory.
- Supervise children in recreation activities, manage the behaviours of children within the group, being flexible to individual needs and sensitive to individual requirements.
- Attend weekly pre- and post-camp staff meetings with Liaison Officer and Project Manager.
- Evaluate the program in an ongoing weekly basis, and overall at end of contract.