Tentative start date: June 3, 2019
Job length: ~ 10 weeks, full time
Recreation Leaders must have been enrolled in full-time studies at a college/university for the past year and be returning to full-time studies again this September. They must have related experience working with children, proven leadership skills and an understanding of the stages of child development. Standard First Aid skills or the willingness to train is mandatory.
A recreation leader must:
- Work as a team to plan and implement a 6-week program for approximately 80 children/week.
- Plan age-appropriate activities, incorporating ideas from a variety of areas such as crafts, circle time, out-trips, cooking, story time, sports, quiet activities, scavenger hunts, songs, games, adventures, etc.
- Undergo training in areas such as of behaviour management, Standard First Aid, conflict resolution, special needs children, allergy response, etc.
- Assist in registration and promotion at Stoney Creek and other local schools.
- Assist with the volunteer generation, including school visits as required.
- Attend a “Team Building Event” for all leaders.
- Help assemble supplies and maintain appropriate inventory.
- Supervise children in recreation activities, manage the behaviours of children within the group, being flexible to individual needs and sensitive to individual requirements.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Evaluate the program in an ongoing weekly basis.